Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Therapy dog extrordanaire

Today was Lycan's first therapy dog visit. According to the rules of the Delta Society, the group he is registered with, he needs to be bathed no earlier than 24 hours before the visit. So, last night I got him in the tub, cleaned him all up, dried him, brushed him brushed his teeth and trimmed his nails. This morning I brushed him some more, took him to the facility and let him wander around and relieve himself, drink some water, and of course, get his legs all muddy again. After he met the other therapy dog, a lovely chocolate lab named Sequoia, we went into the facility (Timber Ridge assisted living facility), where he met lots of sweet people who were so excited to see him. Now, I have to admit I was NERVOUS! I thought for sure he would do something rotten, like pee on someone's walker, jump on some poor old person, or maybe lick them so much they wouldn't like him. He was such a good boy. We spent about 45 mins letting the residents visit with him, pet him, talk to him etc. He was a little concerned about getting too close to the people, because he had to scootch around walkers and wheelchairs, but all in all, I was very proud. I think in the future he would do better meeting more people instead of seeing the same people over again, and he would do better with no longer than the time we spent, because I noticed him start shedding and licking my face right before we left. That is his signal for being stressed out. So, we need to be mentored one last time and then we are a full Rx: pets visiting team. YAY!

3 comments:

Indie said...

I am so proud of Lycan! And of you, Lucy, for going to the trouble to have him trained to help people. I'll bet people were delighted to meet a furry friend.

I'm trying to imagine what you mean about meeting more people. Did he start to get bored?

Beverly Kaye said...

My Mom lived in a facility for the last two years of her life (stricken with, but not bowed by Dementia) and the highlight of her days was a visit with the therapy dogs. Initially she was frightened, but little by little her guard came down, and her smile appeared again. I cannot begin to thank people such as yourself for the tremendous amount of joy you and your dogs bring to the elderly.

Lucy said...

Thanks for the comment Beverly! I'm so glad that your mother got comfortable with the dogs, and they were able to enrich her life at the facility. Hopefully, my dog will bring joy to others as well.